PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge Base (under development)

GarethW
16th Sep '10, 13:11
I'm currently in the process of adding a Knowledge Base to the forum. Hopfully it will be up and running in 2-3 weeks time.

Basically the knowledge base is an add-on which allows any user to write articles, manufacturing process design guides, CAD tutorials etc. Other users can rate articles, comment on them, and the original author can refine end edit their work whenever they like to improve it.

I hope that this will make the forum an even more useful and interactive resource, allowing even more sharing of knowledge!

Whilst I'm setting up the Knowledge Base, I need to decide on its structure so that there's a category available for any article somebody wants to write.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

This is what I've got so far:

General mechanical engineering
General articles, info, tips and techniques that are related to mechanical engineering

Categories Manufacturing Process Design Guides
How to design for a manufacturing processes.

Calculations
Guides and tutorials on performing calculations applicable to mechanical engineers

Mechanical & thermal testing
Tutorials and tips on performing mechanical and thermal testing

CAD tutorials
"How to" guides for 2D and 3D CAD. Useful tips & techniques for different software packages

Industrial / product design tips & tutorials
Anything related to product design / industrial design. Styling, ergonomics etc

Employment related articles
How to find a job, how to create the perfect CV / resume etc

General articles
Articles and information that's of general interest to the community

Does anyone have further suggestions or thoughts? Any help with this will be greatly appreciated

gupta9665
16th Sep '10, 13:22
Are you going to set up a different Knowledge Base section to every sub forum we have?

OR

It'll be a different sub forum further containing sub forums based on the topics you have listed above.

gupta9665
16th Sep '10, 13:22
Are you going to set up a different Knowledge Base section to every sub forum we have?

OR

It'll be a different sub forum further containing sub forums based on the topics you have listed above.

GarethW
16th Sep '10, 13:36
Here's (http://kb.softphp.dk/) a demo of what it will roughly be like. Click on the "Knowledge Base" icon on the pale blue navigation bar.

In theory it's a separate section of the forum containing sub-categories based on the topics I have listed above. However I will also place strategic links in the existing sub-forums directing users to relevant sections of the Knowlege Base.

GarethW
16th Sep '10, 19:46
Can I just say if anyone wants to write any articles for the knowledge base in advance it would be great to have some material already in it when it's launched! Any contributions will be greatly appreciated!

GarethW
16th Sep '10, 21:45
For your info here's a quick "work in progress" screenshot of how the Knowledge Base is shaping up.

http://www.mechanicaldesignforum.com/forum/images/GarethW/KBscreenshot.jpg

gupta9665
17th Sep '10, 08:20
Looks nice and great :) :)

GarethW
17th Sep '10, 13:41
Looks nice and great :) :)
Cheers! :)

Garf255
18th Sep '10, 10:44
Looks really good and a great idea too to add the knowledge base.

:D