Thread: Ceiling Fan Generator?

Forum Member

Question Ceiling Fan Generator?

In my quest to build a pedal powered generator, I have come to conclusion that I need a low rpm high voltage motor. And that I will probably have to build one out of a ceiling fan motor.

Please point me in the right direction for more information. You tube is confusing but interesting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=GlpJBXu1nr4

Forum Member
    I already watched those vedios

Forum Member
    what I really need is a book

Forum Member
    ok i give up , there is no book. I would rather just buy a motor.

what am I to look for? low voltage and low rpm... I think the voltage should be more than the rpm , but not likely to find one......

Well, for starters, a good human cadence is between 50-70 rpm.

Depending on the type of output you're looking for...could you use a car alternator? Start cheap, with one from a junkyard, and go from there. You'd have to determine the sweet spot for the alternator's RPM, and then use a belt (the alternator already has a pulley on it, of course!) and a properly sized pulley on your stationary bicycle-like object to get the right ratio..
    Boothby171

Or you could just purchase a generator from Amazon or another source:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pedal-Power-Bi...ered+generator
    http://www.amazon.com/Pedal-Power-Ex...ered+generator

A ceiling fan motor will not do a good job as a generator.

Forum Member
    car alternators are out of the question, they are made for high speed very power-full engines. I need a low rpm low voltage dc pm motor.

Not necessarily agreeing with your logic, there, but nevermind...what is it, exactly, you are trying to do?

What voltage do you want to achieve? AC or DC? What current are you hoping to obtain?

You do know you only have about 1/4 hp, at best (190 W or less) to work with, right?
    Boothby171

Forum Member
    I do not know exactly what hp I can maintain on the pedal power, but its gotta be close.

I want to top-off my 28 amp-hours worth of batterers daily... at least one or two volts. I read some where that 100 watts is about it for pedal power...I could build a more efficient machine but I am starting to think I should go for wind power. well I really want to do both.

watching the videos makes it look simple. My land lord is making a generator out of a bicycle wheel, all he needs now is a lot more coils and magnets. then we will see how much it can produce.

search web for wind blue alternators, seem to have the wiring and magnets figured. Otherwise the auto alternator produces 14 amps at 800 rpm. to charge the car battery. I'd like to have a wind powered alternator to replace the discharge of the electric car as I am moving down the road. Carbon fibre fan? Carbon fibre turbo fan? Gearbox? Alternator? Multiple fans and alternators in parallel?

Quote Originally Posted by sportsman1953 View Post
    I'd like to have a wind powered alternator to replace the discharge of the electric car as I am moving down the road.
    You do realize that you are requesting a perpetual motion machine. I'd like one too but its not going to happen in the universe we inhabit.

If the trains can use diesel motors to charge their electric power and cars can charge their battery through an engine powered alternator..., Once a vehicle begins to move why not throw some charge back to the battery via wind powered alternator? I discovered Mitsubishi sells a solar charging system to attach to the Chevy Volt, why not add a wind powered alternator as well...? Some European models are available with 300 mile capable batteries. Is it with heater, head lights and wind shield wipers going? The vehicle can always be finish charged during down time... I'm just looking for 300 mile capability with all electronics going..., not perpetual motion.... Can anyone out there say possibly and be inspired..., instead of sounding like a capitalist heavily invested in oil.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsman1953 View Post
    If the trains can use diesel motors to charge their electric power and cars can charge their battery through an engine powered alternator..., Once a vehicle begins to move why not throw some charge back to the battery via wind powered alternator? I discovered Mitsubishi sells a solar charging system to attach to the Chevy Volt, why not add a wind powered alternator as well...? Some European models are available with 300 mile capable batteries. Is it with heater, head lights and wind shield wipers going? The vehicle can always be finish charged during down time... I'm just looking for 300 mile capability with all electronics going..., not perpetual motion.... Can anyone out there say possibly and be inspired..., instead of sounding like a capitalist heavily invested in oil.
    Right. The energy to charge the batteries on a diesel engine come from........ wait for it......... the diesel fuel.

The energy to charge the car battery comes from ... wait for it..... the gasoline.

Solar charging system the energy comes from the .................. sun.

The energy to spin that "wind powered" generator comes from where? It comes from the batteries that are driving the electric car. The second law of thermodynamics tells us that no energy conversion can be 100% efficient. That means that it takes more power out of the batteries overcome the drag of the fan than the generator can put back into the batteries.

Keep dreaming but don't think somebody is a pawn of the oil industry because they happen to have a solid understanding of thermodynamics.
    Last edited by Erich; 14th Dec '12 at 21:21.

We weren't asking for a fight , perpetual motion, or 100% efficiency. We were just asking to get a little further down the road.

By the way everyone..., trains are electric charged by diesel.

"Trains in America are electric, passenger and freight.
    A few of them get their electricity from an outside source, usually an overhead trolley line but sometimes a "3rd rail" system.
    And the nuclear was right, so is wind, hydro power, even coal, they all provide electricity so it can be said they are used to drive trains.

The rest of the trains get their electricity from an onboard diesel generator.
    The diesel engine NEVER drives the wheels, it only supplies electricity for the wheel motors. Source(s)":

railroad engineer since 1975"

We understand the fuel is still diesel.

Not giving you a fight. Just trying to explain why putting a windmill on the roof of your electric car will NOT increase the range. It will decrease the range.

If you had a smart system that only deployed the windmill while going down really steep hills or during braking, You could convert some of the cars kinetic energy into electricity. Of course the wiring to the electric motors could be reversed and turn into a generator that charges the battery. They call that regenerative braking. That helps extend range in stop and go driving but doesn't do much for highway driving.

Forum Member

Lightbulb the right answer

I think I missed something…. Who was talking about a perpetual motion machine?
    All I wanted to know was how much physical resistance I would get charging a battery.
    I found out: we hooked up a battery directly to the generator and pedaled the exercise bike and it was very hard! Putting it on a smaller battery made it much easier. So at this point I think the resistance can be controlled with a charge controller that is wired with a dial adjuster.

Quote Originally Posted by jawnn View Post
    I think I missed something…. Who was talking about a perpetual motion machine?
    Refer to post #12 of this thread. I quoted the comment that was a wish for a perpetual motion machine.