Thread: Rotary to Reciprocation Motion

Rotary to Reciprocation Motion

Had a little design problem crop up to convert rotary to reciprocating motion in that the unit must go sideways and return like a sawing motion. Used a pinion with teeth on top half and none on bottom engaging a rack on top and a rack below, both racks joined at ends. Pinion rotates teeth move the top rack, disengages and teeth then mate with lower rack sending it back.Any one else got any bright ideas or do I need to explain further. A drawing is worth a 1000 words.
    Regards
    Sam

Re: Rotary to Reciprocation Motion

Hi Sam,

More common would be a crank-and-slider arrangement, I would think. With your design you are going to see pretty high inertial forces as the motion reverses (I think your reciprocating motion will be a "triangle" waveform) whereas with a crank and slider it is a sinusoid with nice smooth acceleration and decceleration of the load. I've a suspicion you might also get "crashes" if there is load on the racks during the "handover".

Cheers

Andrew
    Andrew New
    Director, Apogee Engineering Analysis Solutions Ltd
    http://www.apogee-analysis.com/

In the aluminum can making industry two linkages prevail for converting rotary to reciprocating motion, the Watts Linkage and the Diamond Linkage. The diamond linkage is far superior and can produce straight line motion within .005" in 8" of travel with no waste travel. The Watts link provides straight within .06"/8 but has a lot of waste travel to achieve this. I strongly suggest trying a diamond linkage connected to your crank or cam driven.
    Michael Goldberg,
    Cf. Mfg. Eng.
    MTMCo, Inc.
    17 Conifer Rd
    Golden, CO 80401

Office: 303-526-3859
    Cell: 303-589-5343

Please see my website at MTMCo Inc. www.mtmco.com

Maybe a scotch yoke arrangement might suffice.
    You say that a picture is worth a 1000 words...Check out http://www.mechanisms101.com
    There is an animations menu on the home page that may provide you with the inspiration you need.

Good hunting

Have you considered a "scotch yoke" mechanism? This would provide a single axis (straight-line) reciprocation with minimum mechanical complexity.

If your desired path requires a 2-axis motion, an orthogonal combination of scotch yokes may provide the desired motion.

Describing your desired output path may clarify things. A 4-bar linkage may be needed if the path is complex.

Source
    NOTE: "LinkedIn Gopher" is a forum member created by the Mechanical Design Forum administrator specifically to copy relevant posts written by members of our LinkedIn discussion board.

In the aluminum can making industry two linkages prevail for converting rotary to reciprocating motion, the Watts Linkage and the Diamond Linkage. The diamond linkage is far superior and can produce straight line motion within .005" in 8" of travel with no waste travel. The Watts link provides straight within .06"/8 but has a lot of waste travel to achieve this. I strongly suggest trying a diamond linkage connected to your crank or cam driven.

Source
    NOTE: "LinkedIn Gopher" is a forum member created by the Mechanical Design Forum administrator specifically to copy relevant posts written by members of our LinkedIn discussion board.

Hi, Just saw this. It is difficult to make a judgement with so little info.
    What is the function of the linear motion.?
    Do you have to convert rotary to linear.?
    Can you use pneumatics.?
    Could you use a double acting rodless cylinder to give the linear movement.?

Source

This is a difficult one to envision without at least a sketch. However, my initial thought when converting rotation to reciprocation was to use a cam. Could this be a possible option?

Source

If you want to convert the rotational motion to translatory motion in the same plane then you go for Scotch yoke mechanism, otherwise if you want this thing in the perpendicular plane then you go for the rack mechanism that you yourself thought of (just see the racksteering mechanism, you would get lot of idea)

Source

Hi Sam, I expected to get a reply from you by now.

I have been thinking about your proposed method.
    i.e. A half pinion driving a top and bottom rack.
    If you want or have to do this I would add some sophistication into the design.
    I would use two(2) half pinions linked together and adjustable.
    One pinion would drive the lower rack and the other the upper rack.
    Each rack to be the same width as each pinion.
    The speed would be important. If it is sedate speed that would be advantageous.
    I would have adjustable shocks at each end of the stroke and I would also consider adjustable torsion springs on the pinions to absorbe the sudden reversal of direction.The torsion springs would help to absorbe shock and allow the first involute tooth to engage and the last tooth of the driver pinion to escape from engagement.

You would obviously fit and adjust by hand until all interferance was eliminated.

If you try this please let us know how it works out.

If you do an interrupted rack you need to have some sort of cam/lever lockout mechanism to make sure there is no collision as the pinion re-engages. otherwise your mechanism WILL destroy itself.
    I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you

Smile Re: Rotary to Reciprocation Motion

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. A decision was made this week and they want to go for the half pinion driving an upper and lower rack. If you wish to see an anination go to http://www.robives.com/mechanisms/recip and look under reciprocation motion.
    Sorry its has taken me so long to respond but I was working on other aspects of the design and the client wasn't in hurry.
    Kind Regards
    Sam